Protecting Your Future With Compassion And Understanding

Can I get my gun rights back with a Class A conviction?

On Behalf of | Feb 22, 2022 | Redemption Law

In a previous post, we talked about who is eligible to apply for gun rights restoration after a criminal conviction in Washington State. To recap, after a certain number of years has passed from any serious criminal conviction, you can go to court and ask to get your Second Amendment rights back — with two exceptions: sex offenses and Class A felonies.

What sets Class A felonies apart

Class A is the highest level of crime under Washington law. The usual maximum sentence is life in prison and/or a fine of up to $50,000. Examples include first- and second-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and murder as a result of child abuse, as well as several rape crimes. When it comes to a conviction of a Class A felony, state law does not permit the possibility of firearms rights restoration through a court petition, even after the person has served their sentence.

One potential alternative

This does not mean there is no hope. You can request an annulment or pardon from the governor, which would wipe out your conviction and restore your right to own and possess firearms. Kurt Bennett Attorneys has obtained pardons for those convicted of Class A felonies. Consulting with an attorney who works with those seeking post-conviction relief like firearm rights restoration can give you a clear picture of your chances.