Protecting Your Future With Compassion And Understanding

Are there different types of license suspensions in Washington?

On Behalf of | Apr 17, 2020 | Criminal Defense

Having a driver’s license is a privilege, and this privilege can be taken away for many different reasons. In Washington, license suspension is used to penalize drivers for numerous infractions, from driving while under the influence of alcohol to failing to pay child support. Here are a few reasons why a person might be faced with a license suspension in the state.

Reckless driving

A conviction of reckless driving results in a 30-day license suspension. To have your license reinstated, you must file a financial responsibility form and secure SR-22 insurance for a period of three years. You will also be required to pay a $75 reinstatement fee, as well as assorted administrative fees. If you were convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol in addition to reckless driving, you may be required to have an ignition interlock device installed on your vehicle. These devices take a breath sample before the vehicle can be started. If alcohol is detected, the vehicle will fail to start and the authorities will be notified.

Moving violations

A certain number of moving violations in a specific time period can also lead to license suspension. Six moving violations within 12 months, or seven violations within 24 months, will result in a 60-day license suspension. You will also be subject to a one-year probationary period, during which time you will receive an additional 30-day suspension for each subsequent offense. Subsequent offenses also cause the one-year probationary period to restart.

Family court issues

When a person fails to pay child support as ordered by the court, the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services sends a notice to the Department of Licensing. From there, the person is provided information on the suspension and the steps they must take to have it reinstated. In order for a license to be reinstated, you must get current on back child support. You will also need to pay a $75 reinstatement fee, as well as additional fees.