Call For A Free Consultation

19803 1st Avenue South
Suite 200
Normandy Park, WA 98148

Telling Your Side Of,

The Story

Can I get my parental rights reinstated in Washington?

On Behalf of | Sep 9, 2020 | Firm News

There are situations where it is appropriate to terminate a parent’s rights to their child at that time. People make mistakes and perhaps you had a hard time caring for your children at one point. Fortunately, Washington is among the few states that allow for reinstatement of parental rights.

For the court to grant a request to restore your parental rights, a tremendous improvement must be evident by your behavior and circumstances. Additionally, it may not be possible to reinstate parental rights if your child is already adopted by another family. Keep reading for more information on the requirements to have parental rights restored.

The child’s right to reinstate parental ties

According to FindLaw, reinstatement laws exist mainly so children aging out of the foster care system can reestablish parental relationships if they wish. Because of this, it is a child-driven process initiated by your child when he or she expresses that they would like your rights restored as their parent. Reinstatement of your rights is typically only an option if your child does not have a permanent home with another family.

The reinstatement process in Washington

In Washington, your child must be at least 12 years old to apply to have your parental rights restored unless there is a very good case for someone under 12. Additionally, at least three years must pass from the termination order. The judge will examine your current situation and criminal background record to determine if you are a threat to your child’s safety or welfare.

If the judge decides that it is in the best interest of your child to have your rights reinstated, a six-month trial period will begin. Upon successful completion of the trial period, the court may enter the final stages of reinstating your parental rights.